QuartzCompositions.com the central source for Quartz Composer Forum Index
The central source for quartz composer creations.

Profile         Register   Memberlist   Usergroups   FAQ   Search  Log in

QC Client/Server Rigging Software - Feedback Please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    QuartzCompositions.com the central source for Quartz Composer Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lopar

Post Post subject: QC Client/Server Rigging Software - Feedback Please! Reply with quote

Hey! I'm glad there's a forum like this dedicated to QC.. I worked as a semi-volunteer at a boarding high school this last school year and part of their yearly program is an Easter Passion Play that is presented to the community. Since I did most of the technical work at the school I wanted to make something special this year for that, and I thought using QC would be perfect for that. The play is all actions, no spoken word, but synchronized to music. So through the week of practices and preparations, I set up 3 macbooks hooked to 3 projectors, and busted into XCode and started to work on rigging software. I ended up with a fairly good working tcp/ip client/server system. It has two parts: the Commander and the Node. (the project name is currently PassionCommander.) Basically, the Nodes define actions (input variables you set on quartz files), scenes (quartz files) and basic sounds, and the Commander, linked to the itunes library via applescript, lets you fire actions to specific nodes at certain times in the song. It ended up working quite well and we were able to do some fairly good special effects (the play is in a dark gym so the projectors worked good for this.) So I have a working version of this software, with a few major bugs to work out still. For example, the applescript link with itunes has a tendency to crash the app if itunes does anything funny, which I had to deal with during the production. since I was aware of it it was very quick to get everything back up and running without anybody noticing anything went wrong, but I know that if I wanted to release it I have to get that fixed.
I was just wondering if anybody is interested in software like this... I know there's lots of uses beyond simple special effects for synchronizing stuff to music.. I also want to know if there's anything similar to this out there. Let me know what you think, and if you want to play around with the software!

Thanks,
Jason Neufeld (Phil. 3:12)
Jason Neufeld (Phil. 3:12)
Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 pm
lopar View user's profile Send private message
p180

Post Post subject: Re: QC Client/Server Rigging Software - Feedback Please! Reply with quote

Jason,

I would be very interested in looking at your application. I am the TD for our church and we are completely rennovating our media/presentation system over to mac.

Ron
Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:25 pm
p180 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    QuartzCompositions.com the central source for Quartz Composer Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: